The app, which can be bought for iOS and Android, aims to help golfers save strokes and play better with the sport’s only 100% ground-verified and error-corrected course maps through a variety of platforms, including SkyCaddie LINX, TOUCH and AIRE II, to smartphones or tablets via SkyCaddie mobile.
Speaking about the app, Jacqui Surman, vice-president of international sale and marketing at SkyCaddie, said: “SkyCaddie Mobile is designed as an entry-level product which allows us to complete our mission to provide ‘A SkyCaddie for every golfer’, while adding a new benefit to current customers with eligible memberships.
“We believe it will quickly become established as the best and highest-rated golf GPS app on the market” – Jacqui Surman
“Since it runs on a smartphone and not a precision-engineered and dedicated device, it is not an equal substitute.
“However, we believe it will quickly become established as the best and highest-rated golf GPS app on the market, because it is powered by the same ground-verified and error-corrected TruGround Course Maps, which make SkyCaddie the No.1 rated and most trusted rangefinder in golf.”
The basic app is a free download and will allow the golfer to find course ratings, scorecards, prices, dress code and capture basic stats and highlights, while the premium version is available for £20.99 per year.
SkyCaddie Mobile Premium includes many of the same features which are available in the GPS devices, including:
• Interactive HoleVue in Vivid HD, which provides a bird’s-eye view of the entire hole and distances needed to any point from tee to green to avoid hazards and play smart golf;
• Integrated HoleVue Targets, including up to 40 geo-referenced targets per hole. Golfers simply pinch and zoom HoleVue to seamlessly reveal critical distances to all hazards, carries and lay-ups;
• Detailed Green Information allows golfers to view the exact shape of the green and get distances to the front, centre and back from anywhere on the course;
• Auto-Hole Advance, which automatically advances to the next hole so the distances needed for the next shot are always ready;
• Measure Any Shot allows golfers to learn the distances of each club, making them better golfers and saving wasted strokes.
Existing customers with eligible memberships will receive and automatic upgrade to premium at no extra cost as an additional benefit.
Originally published on bunkered on February 24, 2015.