The latest addition to the Garmin range boasts a high-resolution colour display with CourseView mapping, Touch Targeting and Manual Pin Positioning, making it the ideal watch for the ambitious golfer, while the popular Approach S2 series for the recreational golfer has a new colour addition in trendy blue.
Speaking about the Garmin Approach S5, product manager Martin Resch said: “It boasts an extensive feature set that would benefit any golfer. With the colour touchscreen and CourseView mapping, the Approach S5 gives golfers a desirable advantage whether it’s used on their home course or anywhere else in the world.”
Key features of the Garmin Approach S5:
• Pre-loaded with data from more than 39,000 international courses;
• A scorecard feature which allows users to track stats, upload them to Garmin Connect and share and compare round with fellow golfers;
• CourseView – Golfers can preview hole details like doglegs, bunkers, water hazards and green shapes;
• GreenView – Shows golfers the layout of a green, as well as nearby bunkers and hazards;
• Manual Pin Positioning – Golfers can use the touchscreen to drop the pin to the day’s location, giving accurate yardages;
• Touch Targeting – Shows precise distance to any point on the hole, be it a fairway, hazard, or green;
• Handicap scoring feature – Provides options for individual holes, the golfer’s local handicap, or index/slope methods;
• Can be paired with a compatible smartphone, meaning golfers can leave their phones packed away in their bags;
• Ten hours of battery life in GPS mode and 20 weeks in watch mode;
• Water resistant to 50 metres;
• Easy-to-use interface that comes equipped with odometer and round timer so golfers can track distance walked and time spent playing.
The Approach S5 will be available in black with blue bezel accents, with a variety of colourful accessory bands sold separately. The S5 has an RRP of £279.99, while the new, blue S2 has an RRP of £139.99.
Originally published on bunkered on February 20, 2015.